Friday 7 December 2012

Project Completed - Drawings of Buildings in Nuoro

In some previous blog posts I have written about how at the start of the year I gave myself the aim of completing ten line drawings of some of the more interesting buildings in Nuoro. Well, I'm pleased to say that towards the end of last month (November) I completed the project when I put the finishing touches to a drawing I did of the house in which Nobel Prize winning author Grazia Deledda was born and grew up.

The house is now a museum in honour of her memory and is open to the public six days a week. I have to confess that I have never read any of her books in Italian although I have read an English translation of one of her novels, Elias Portolu, and was very impressed. There was an interesting review of the novel many years ago in the British newspaper The Independent.

A stone's throw away from La Casa di Grazia Deledda, in the Piazza del Rosario, is the building pictured below.
The ground floor of the building on the left houses a newsagents shop while in the main building there is a bar. I often walk past both buildings during my regular morning walk through the centre of town and the 'centro storico'.

When I want to get some prints or copies of my drawings I always go to a small printers or eliografia in Via Gialeto, which is run by Gabriele, the brother of Maria Rita's brother-in-law Gianfranco. It's housed in a rather curious looking building. One day, as I was walking along Via Lamarmora, I looked over towards it and decided that it would make a good subject for a drawing, so I took a few photos from various angles to help with the process. The finished result is below.

It's highly likely that I'll be returning shortly to get some more prints of my drawings done!

The last but one drawing I did was of a small catholic church in Via Sulis, "La Chiesa di Santa Croce" and while it lacks the grandeur of the cathedral and some of the larger churches in Nuoro, there is still something very appealing about its look and architectural simplicity.
Well, that's the project completed. Perhaps I should extend it, but free of any time-based objectives!



Il progetto completato - i disegni dei palazzi a Nuoro
Ho scritto prima che uno dei miei propositi all'inizio dell'anno è stato di fare dieci disegni dei palazzi più interessanti di Nuoro prima della fine dell'anno. Sono molto felice di dire che ho completato il progetto verso la fine del mese scorso (Novembre). L'ultimo disegno è stato sulla casa in cui Grazia Deledda è nata e cresciuta. Grazia Deledda è stata la scrittrice nuorese che ha vinto il premio Nobel.

Ora la casa è un museo in onore della sua memoria. Devo ammettere che non ho mai letto i suoi libri in Italiano però ho letto una traduzione inglese del suo romanzo Elias Portolu e sono stato molto impressionato. C'era una recensione interessante del romanzo molti anni fa nel giornale brittannico The Independent.

Un altro disegno che ho fatto recentemente è stato un disegno di un edificio in Piazza del Rosario molto vicino alla casa di Grazia Deledda. Nell'edificio a sinistra c'è un giornalaio al pianterreno mentre nell'edificio principale del disegno c'è un bar al pianterreno. Cammino davanti ai due palazzi molto spesso quando faccio una passeggiata la mattina al centro storico.

Quando voglio alcune stampe e copie dei miei disegni vado sempre alla eliografia in Via Gialeto che è gestita da Gabriele, il fratello di Gianfranco, cognato di Maria Rita. Il palazzo è molto insolito ed un giorno, mentre camminavo lungo Via Lamarmora, ho deciso che questo palazzo sarebbe stato un bel soggetto per un disegno, e quindi, ho fatto qualche foto per auitarmi a disegnarlo. E' molto probabile che tornerò presto per fare più stampe dei miei disegni!

Il penultimo disegno era di una piccola chiesa cattolica in Via Sulis, La Chiesa di Santa Croce, e mentre mancano l'imponenza della cattedrale e chiese più grandi a Nuoro, c'è qualcosa ancora affascinante e bella come la semplicità dell'architettura di questa chiesa.

Allora, il progetto è completato. Forse dovrei estenderlo ma senza un limite di tempo!




No comments:

Post a Comment