Sunday 7 August 2016

Chapter Two - Early Days in Nuoro (from "A Bristolian In Sardinia")

I recently posted Chapter One, both in English and in Italian, from the first draft of a book I've been trying to write entitled A Bristolian In Sardinia. This week (with the help of my wife) I finished translating Chapter Two into Italian. I shall post the Italian translation later but here's the original English version:-



Chapter Two                          Early Days in Nuoro

I was lucky to have such a good friend in Charlie who had offered to look after my house after I had gone away and to look in every other day at least until I had formulated my future plans. I would need to decide whether I was going to return to live in Bristol or to continue to live in Sardinia and, if the latter, whether to sell the house or to let it. Initially I was going to Sardinia for just four months, although my plan was to stay on indefinitely if those first four months proved agreeable enough and I was starting to feel at home in my new surroundings. I would have to return to Bristol the following March anyway, at least for a week or so, to take care of business connected with things like council tax and car tax etc. It was curious. Although I had no doubts about my relationship with Maria Rita I was worried that the nostalgia that I would feel for my native city of Bristol might become overwhelming. But it proved not to be the case.

After just over a week of pottering around at home and making preparations, on Saturday 7th November I flew to Rome from Bristol Airport and met Maria Rita there. We stayed overnight in the Hotel Torino. My niece Catherine was living in Rome at the time and with Maria Rita’s niece Chiara, already a long-term resident in Rome, we were hoping to all go out for a meal together that evening. Unfortunately Catherine was unwell and in bed with flu so it was just myself, Maria Rita and Chiara sampling the delights of steak, red wine and a delicious sweet in one of Rome’s rather noisy but very cheerful restaurants.

The following day we flew from Rome to Olbia and we arrived in Nuoro at around half-past six in the evening. Maria Rita had time off from work on the Monday and the Tuesday so we had a couple of days of taking it easy. It was during these two days that I met her other brother Raimondo for the first time and, not long afterwards, his wife Gianfranca. On the Wednesday, when Maria Rita was back at work, I started what was to become a part of my daily routine: Italian study. In Bristol a few months earlier I had managed to purchase an intermediate stage course in Italian: a book containing dialogues, grammar and exercises along with four hour-long CDs of the Italian dialogues. The book was called Italian Beyond The Basics and it proved to be very useful, especially in helping me to speak Italian with a little more confidence. However, I do remember that when I was studying the explanations of how the subjunctive works in Italian I began to think that I needed a more instinctive rather than intellectual understanding of its functioning. Interestingly enough, I was told that one of the most common errors that Italians made in spoken Italian was to not bother to use the subjunctive when, strictly speaking, they should have done. I soon noticed that no one ever corrected me when I forgot to use the subjunctive whereas they were very quick to correct me if I made the kind of mistakes that Italians never make, forgetting to change the last syllable of an adjective according to gender for example. For the purpose of improving and developing my Italian I was quite lucky to be in Nuoro where most of the conversational exchanges seem to be in Italian. In some of the smaller Sardinian towns and villages they speak Sardo almost exclusively even though all Sardinians do speak Italian. Maria Rita was, and still is, in the curious position of being able to understand Sardo but not speak it very well whereas she speaks English fairly well but often finds native English speakers difficult to understand, especially when their speech is littered with slang and idiomatic expressions. She told me that when she was growing up her parents only spoke Italian around her and her siblings, hence she never got into the habit of speaking Sardo. It was considered by the middle classes to be a language spoken by less educated people and that it was far better to have Italian as a first language. With time attitudes have changed, just as they have towards the Welsh language in Wales, and now it is seen as a source of pride that Sardinia has its own language. Around about 70% of the islanders speak Sardo and a far higher percentage understand spoken Sardo. However, it is hard to know what percentage of children and young people speak the language as it is no longer automatically passed on to them by their families. This is a situation that became common in the sixties and seventies and continues to this day.

I must confess that in those early days it was a real struggle to understand very much of the Italian that was spoken to me. If people were speaking directly to me it wasn’t always too bad and they tended to make allowances for the fact that my ear wasn’t fully accustomed to hearing spoken Italian incessantly. I often had trouble with words and grammatical concepts that I was already familiar with simply because I wasn’t used to hearing them spoken all the time. And the comical misuse of the language continued! Just a few days after I had arrived, and having caught a bit of a cold, I created great hilarity around the dinner table by saying: “ho un tosse sul pene”. I thought that I was saying: “I have a chesty cough” when what I was actually saying was: “I have a cough on the penis!” I had confused the word pene with the word petto (chest) and without realising that it’s not even an expression that Italians tend to use. They don’t talk about having chesty coughs. I then compounded the error by pronouncing the word petto like peto (fart) causing even greater hilarity. I have often been reminded of how important the difference is in the pronunciation of hard (eg. double ‘t’) and soft consonants (eg. single ‘t’) in Italian. It can change the entire meaning of what you say and it can prove embarassing!

When Maria Rita was working mornings I got into the habit of walking up to the shop in the Post Office where she worked, il posteshop, then having a very quick coffee before going for a walk and exploring parts of the town that I did not know particularly well. It wasn’t very long before I became very familar with all the backstreets around two of the main streets in town, il Corso Garibaldi and Via Lamarmora, as well as the centro storico district of Santu Predu and the walk towards la chiesa della Madonna della Solitudine which is where the tomb of the Nobel Prize winning writer Grazia Deledda is.  For the first two or three weeks after my arrival we were lucky to be having dry and very warm weather for November, even in Sardinia, so it was a good time for exploring the city.

Another activity that became part of my routine in my early days in Nuoro was, after having been out for a walk mid-morning, to sit down and to translate the songs of the legendary Italian singer-songwriter Fabrizio de André into English. But I was never satisfied with a straightforward translation. I wanted to translate his songs in such a way as to make them singable in English, retaining the original meter and use of rhyme, while still remaining faithful to the original text. De André, who died of lung cancer in 1999 aged fifty-eight, is one of Italy’s most celebrated singer-songwriters. Originally from Genoa he actually lived in Sardinia for several years and was even kidnapped by Sardinian bandits in 1979! This incident, however, did nothing to lessen his affection for the Sardinian people as a whole. The quality of his lyrics means that he is considered something of a poet, Italy’s equivalent of Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen. I had only become aware of him a few months earlier, while I was still in Bristol, when I read an article in The Observer newspaper about how there was a three-hour documentary about him on Italian television, tucked away on one of the minority channels, that drew about 30% of the total audience share. When I spoke to Maria Rita about it via Skype she told me that she had been one of the 30%. Soon afterwards I received another present from her: a box set of three CDs of De André’s music. So the work of trying to translate his songs had already begun. The results were variable although I was quite pleased with a translation of one of his best known songs Amore che viene amore che vai:

Love Comes And Goes (Amore che vieni amore che vai)

Those days that are gone with the winds that we chased 
And the pleading for hundreds of kisses to taste
Some day you'll remember while thinking of them
How love that had flown has come back again
Some day you'll remember while thinking of them
How love that had flown has come back again.

And you with those eyes so blue and so clear
Are whispering sweet words of love in my ear
In a month or a year you'll forget what you said
A love that is fresh now will surely be dead.
In a month or a year you'll forget what you said
A love that is fresh now will surely be dead

It came from the sun or the sands that will freeze
Was lost in the fall or with the cool summer breeze
I loved you forever or never it seems
For love comes around and then fades into dreams.
I loved you forever or never it seems
For love comes around and then fades into dreams.

Two weeks after I had arrived in Nuoro, on the morning of Saturday 21st November, I had my first experience of La Festa della Madonna delle Grazie. Usually Maria Rita works on a Saturday morning but on this day she had taken a day’s leave. It was a beautiful sunny day, warm enough not to need a jacket or pullover when out of the shade, and around about mid-morning we walked up to La Via Lamarmora, part of which was closed to traffic in order to act as host to a seemingly endless number of stalls. They were selling an extraordinary range of goods, a great many of them reflecting the character and traditions of Sardinia. Of special interest to me was one stall selling really intriguing looking musical instruments of Sardinian origin and another stall which was selling locally produced jars of honey complete with a display of bees making honey behind a vertical protective glass case.

La Festa della Madonna delle Grazie is a celebration which is particularly significant for the inhabitants of Nuoro. According to the local legend, in the 17th century, a young shepherd found a small wooden statue of the Madonna which had miraculous powers and in 1670 the original church La Chiesa della Madonna delle Grazie was built to honour the discovery of this particular image. Today, there is a tradition amongst the faithful of attending the church every day for nine days prior to the festival to pray to the Madonna for help with any family difficulties that they might be experiencing.

Aesthetically, like so many towns, Nuoro is something of a mixed bag. There are parts of it which are delightful and other parts which are not so delightful. Much of the centro storico in the main part of town is full of the traditional Italian architecture that we British find so enchanting. At the same time, the rather sterile architecture that characterised a lot of building construction in the sixties and seventies is never too far away. Indeed, a great many nuoresi live in apartment blocks that were built during that era, as we do ourselves. But Nuoro is surrounded by mountains and there are some lovely views from certain parts of the city, like the view from Via Aspromonte out over the valley towards Monte Ortobene to the east with Oliena and Monte Corrasi visible further away to the south east. One worries about the future because of the large exodus of young people from Nuoro because of a lack of work opportunities in the town. As for me, I have found it a very comfortable place to live; the people have always shown a lot of warmth towards me and I have always found it a very unthreatening place. I do like the fact that all the best bars and restaurants are within walking distance of home. This was never something I was able to enjoy while living in Brentry in North Bristol on the very outskirts of the city. While it wasn’t an unpleasant place aesthetically, there was just one pub within a five minute walk (since demolished) and the nearest shops were nearly half a mile away. So an evening out nearly always meant that I had to use the car.

In Nuoro, sometimes I wonder if I am seen as something of a novelty seeing as there are so few British people living here, and those that do live here tend to be English teachers and usually only stay for the duration of their teaching contract. In those early months, when it was obvious from my accent that I was not Italian, I was often asked: “Lei è tedesco?” (Are you German?). I found this hard to understand as I have always thought of the German accent as being far more gutteral than the English. And some of Maria Rita’s family had said that my English accent was very noticeable! However, Maria Rita explained to me that many Nuoresi simply are not used to hearing certain ‘foreign’ accents and a large proportion of tourists in Central Sardinia happen to be German.

It didn’t seem to be too long before Christmas arrived, the first Christmas that I actually celebrated in Sardinia where the traditional celebrations were a bit different from those that I was used to. Coming from a fairly small family, some members of which were scattered around the globe, Christmas had always been a fairly quiet affair celebrated with just my parents and my brother and his girls if they happened to be around. So it was quite something to experience the closeness of Maria Rita’s extended family on Christmas Eve, la vigilia di Natale, when their main Christmas celebration takes place. This year it was her turn to act as hostess and in all there were about a dozen of us present, not the largest Christmas gathering but it was far larger than I was used to and it was quite a jolly affair. After we had finished eating the ham and cheese, the salad, the pasta and meat dishes, and of course a piece of panettone (the traditional Italian Christmas cake), the time gradually drew nearer to midnight and I was asked if I would dress up as Babbo Natale (Father Christmas) and dish out all the presents. For Maria Rita’s family this ceremony always commences at midnight and my role as Babbo Natale seems to have become a regular duty each Christmas! Christmas Day itself was much quieter. I went with Maria Rita to one of her favourite restaurants in town for lunch, Il Trittico. But there was no roast turkey or brandy flavoured Christmas pudding on the menu. No, we enjoyed a rather splendid fish-based dish instead.

Before we welcomed in the New Year Maria Rita and I went to see the Moscow Ballet dance to Tschaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite  at the ‘Teatro Eliseo’, a concert hall in Nuoro, on the evening of Sunday December 27th. Maria Rita was very keen to see it as she had practised ballet for several years as a teenager and young woman and such shows are rare in Nuoro. Although I'd been to a few classical music concerts before I had never actually been to watch a ballet and didn't know quite what to expect. Well, visually it was stunning and you couldn't help but admire the grace and athleticism of the dancers and, in the case of the male dancers, their strength too. I was reminded of something my late father said to me when I was about ten or eleven years old and I was never happier than when I was kicking a football about. I had been rather dismissive about ballet dancing being a manly activity when my father said, "you'd be surprised how much fitness, strength and skill is required in order to be a male ballet dancer. Probably more than is needed to play football." After seeing the male lead effortlessly lift the female lead above his shoulders, and turn with such elegance and precision during this performance, those words and the obvious truth of them came back to haunt me. Ironically, I was also reminded of something a young footballer said to me many years ago, about how some ballet training was a huge help in strengthening the muscles around his ankles with which he was having some problems. All in all, it was a thoroughly enjoyable and uplifting evening.

We went out for dinner at the Maurelli restaurant on New Year’s Eve, a place on the outskirts of Nuoro not far from a shopping mall and industrial estate called Prato Sardo. The musical entertainment there was provided by a band called I Frammenti Anni Sessanta  (Sixties’ Fragments) in which Maria Rita’s brother Mariano plays Bass. I thought that they were rather entertaining, playing songs from the sixties, mostly in Italian, although they did play a few in English as well as in Sardo. However, until that particular evening, I had never realised how many songs originally recorded by British and American artists had been nicked by the Italians and given Italian lyrics which had little relation to the original lyrics in English. I can remember thinking on hearing the opening chords of certain songs: “Ah, this  is Elenore by The Turtles.” But no it wasn’t. It was Scende la pioggia by Gianni Morandi. “Ah, this is The Pied Piper by Crispian St Peters.” But no it wasn’t. It was Bandiera gialla by Gianni Pettenati. And there were quite a few more, not just those two songs!

The winters in Nuoro are not usually as cold as those in Bristol but they do tend to be rather wet and sometimes windy. It can be quite chilly at times especially late in the evening. It does snow from time to time although when it does snow the temperature usually rises sufficiently during the morning for it all to be gone come the afternoon. Further south on the island, around Cagliari, and also in the seaside towns in Ogliastra, the winters tend to be milder still. However, in Fonni, a small town not far from Nuoro and situated at the highest altitude of any town in Sardinia, the winters are much colder and they have snow that settles for a decent period of time practically every year.

A couple of weeks into 2010 and most of the family travelled down to Lotzorai to celebrate the traditional festival of  Fuoco di Sant’Antonio which takes place on the 16th and 17th January. Firewood is gathered beforehand and, with food and drink in generous supply, a huge bonfire burnt on the 16th January, the eve of the 17th, the day which actually honours Sant'Antonio. It was on Friday the 15th January that we travelled from Nuoro and there were about a dozen members of the extended family there for the celebration. Unfortunately, I started to feel unwell on Saturday so I wasn't able to involve myself as much as I would have liked. However, I was well enough come Saturday evening to partake of the rather sumptuous feast that we all indulged in as we sat around the blazing bonfire. Jokes and stories were told and everyone seemed to be enjoying the food, the conversation and the warmth of the fire. It was quite an experience for me as I tried to listen, sometimes following the thread of the Italian being spoken and understanding quite well, and other times completely losing it. Unfortunately, on Sunday I started to feel very queasy and extremely delicate and it was a relief to arrive back in Nuoro. I spent the following two days in bed with gastric flu!

Earlier I wrote about how I started to try my hand at translating the songs of Fabrizio de André. Well, since I had arrived in Sardinia Maria Rita’s older brother Raimondo had given me the gift of a book of his poetry that he had published: I tamburi del cuore (the drumbeats of the heart) and as a further exercise I began to try to translate some of his poems into English. Perhaps the fact that I have written poetry on and off for most of my life, and also had some published, was a great help in developing a sensitivity towards Raimondo’s work and guiding me in the process of translation. The following is an example of one of my early efforts:

A Dedication To The Sea
by Raimondo Selenu

I sit silently beside you
between the memories
of an old sailing vessel
and the future hopes
of a speedy motorboat.

I feel
like a small child
who listens attentively
to what it is you have to say.

Your way of speaking impresses me.

I am the sand that loves the waves
and lives in the immensity of your breath,
listening to the song
of the reef.

Alongside you I appear so small
amongst the pebbles
smooth with age
and shells
that dwell within you.

I curl myself up like a small child
finding nourishment
in fairy tales and adventure stories.

I adore your way of speaking.


And this is the Italian original:


Dedicato Al Mare


Mi siedo silenzioso accanto a te,
                 tra i ricordi
  di una vecchia barca a vela
             e le speranze
     di un motore fuoribordo.

                Mi sento
     come un piccolo bambino,
                che ascolta
          ciò che hai da dire.

Mi impressiona il tuo modo di parlare.

     Sono sabbia che ama le tue onde
        e vive nell'immenso tuo respiro
            nell'ascolto del tuo canto
                   alla scogliera.

     Mi faccio piccolino accanto a te
                      tra i sassi
               levigati dai tuoi anni
                      e conchiglie
                 che abitano in te.

Mi accuccio come un piccolo bambino
                     per nutrirmi
             di fiabe e di avventure.

        Adoro il tuo modo di parlare.


© Raimondo Selenu



La festa del fuoco di Sant’Antonio is the beginning of the carnival period in Sardinia which ends on Ash Wednesday. In February it is in full swing and there is a lot of dressing up and wearing of masks on the days when events are held. On the evening of Saturday 6th February we returned to the Maurelli restaurant for one such carnival celebration. I Frammenti Anni Sessanta were providing the music again and we went along with Gianfranco and Patrizia. Maria Rita and I dressed as pirates (rather appropriate for me coming from Bristol where the notorious and legendary pirate Edward Teach, or Blackbeard, is supposed to have lived). It was a really fun evening and an enjoyable time was had by all.

About a week after this we went to see an exhibition of the work of the well-known Sardinian sculptor and painter Costantino Nivola, grandfather of Alessandro Nivola the well-known film actor. Nivola came from a very humble background, growing up in the small village of Orani which is about 15 kilometres south west of Nuoro. He worked locally as an apprentice stonemason before finding success as an artist but spent much of his later life in New York after marrying Ruth Guggenheim, whose Jewish origins made much of Europe an uncomfortable place for the couple during the Second World War. The exhibition was showing in Nuoro at the Museo Ciusa in Piazza Santa Maria della Neve and was entitled L'investigazione dello spazio (The investigation of space). We found it a very interesting exhibition, with some curious abstract works alongside others based more in realism, and we could clearly see how Nivola's native Sardinia influenced his work especially in pieces like Bozzetto per il pannello murale dello show-room Olivetti a New York, 1953. One of the most startling and profound works was the Capella del Corpus Christi (the Chapel of Christ) which was upstairs in a separate room away from the main body of the exhibition. Entering inside was evocative of entering any chapel where the ambience and silence can give an immediate and soothing experience of sensitivity, both physical and emotional. Nivola had close links with the town of Nuoro and in 1965 accepted a commission to create a series of sculptures in the Piazza Satta, a square in the central part of the town, and this was completed in 1967. You can see there just how Nivola made such creative and intelligent use of space.

I returned to Bristol for the first time since leaving the city on Wednesday 17th March and naturally Maria Rita came with me. When I arrived back at my house I was astonished at how much work Charlie had done, far beyond the call of duty, and so I was very pleased. We had a curious ten days or so in Bristol, a mixture of business and pleasure. I had a lot of things to sort out in connection with the house (like council tax and water rates) and the car, with the MOT and car tax expiring at the same time as the end of the financial year at the end of March. Both Charlie and my nextdoor neighbours had very kindly kept an eye on my car, giving it a run-out from time to time, and we found it in good working order. It got through the MOT without too much difficulty and in the ensuing months my nextdoor neighbours continued to look after it, running the engine regularly and taking it out on the road now and again. It really is a blessing to have good neighbours and such a shame that bad neighbours are considered far more newsworthy! I also wanted to sort out which possessions I wished to take back with me or post on to Sardinia, so that took up some of our time, but I was mindful of the fact that for Maria Rita this trip was something of a holiday and I myself wanted to catch up with old friends as much as I could. So we did go out quite a bit, enjoying some live music in the evenings and eating out with friends. I also took Maria Rita to Bristol Blue Glass in Brislington where we were able to watch the glass making process in progress. But I must confess that we hardly ventured outside of Bristol at all for the ten days that we were there.

I had now decided that I wanted to continue to live in Sardinia and that my best option with regards to the house would be to let it. I visited a local Estate Agents and Lettings Agency in Westbury-on-Trym and the whole process seemed rather simpler than I had feared. However, I was made aware of the fact that the house would need a bit of work done before it was ready to let. This came as no surprise and anyway there was still a large amount of personal and family stuff  there that I had to deal with first. It was the family home that I had grown up in and my brother and I had inherited it when my mother died. When she became very old I bought a flat very closeby so that I could keep an eye on her. After her death I sold the flat and bought out my brother’s share in the house which once again became my home. Fortunately my brother and I had come to a very amicable arrangement that suited us both. I was happy and relieved that the Lettings Agency were prepared to manage the property because, living in Sardinia, I didn’t really want the bother of managing it myself. And so, with everything I had wanted and needed to do in Bristol pretty much taken care of, Maria Rita and I returned to Sardinia on Sunday 28th March, a week before Easter. 

© Geoff Davis





No comments:

Post a Comment