Friday 22 July 2011

English T-Shirts in Nuoro

As I've written before in this blog, there aren't that many fluent English speakers in Nuoro. However, one thing that has surprised me here, especially now in the summer when it's more visible, is how ninety percent of the T-shirts worn by the locals here have something in English emblazoned upon them. When I asked Maria Rita why this was so she simply replied that English T-shirts are fashionable. To be honest, most of them say something rather innocent or uncontroversial like American Girl or It's Only Rock 'N Roll But I Like It. Nevetheless, there have been times when I've found it hard to restrain myself from laughing. We have been asked by some people what the writing on their T-shirts actually means and this has me a bit worried for some of the others who are walking around declaring I'm A Flasher or Chase Me Big Boy or I Love Hip Hop Like Madonna Loves Dick. Do they know that flasher is a synonym for someone who indecently exposes himself? Or that chase me was a catch phrase created by a camp English comic and that big boy is a synonym for well-endowed. As for I Love Hip Hop Like Madonna Loves Dick, that's obvious. Isn't it?

Come ho scritto prima su questo blog non ci sono molti nuoresi che parlano inglese correttamente. Però, sono sorpreso che novanta percento delle persone locali indossano le T-shirt con qualcosa scritta in inglese, sopratutto l'estate quando è più visibile. Quando ho chiesto a Maria Rita perchè questa situazione è cosi lei mi ha risposto che le T-shirt in inglese sono alla moda. Per la maggior parte le T-shirt dicono qualcosa di innocente come American Girl (ragazza americana) o It's Only Rock 'N Roll But I Like It (è solo rock 'n roll ma mi piace). Però, qualche volta è difficile per me smettere di ridere. Qualche persona ci ha chiesto i significati delle parole in inglese sulle loro T-shirt e quindi sono un pò preoccupato per gli altri che indossano le T-shirt che dicono I'm A Flasher (sono un esibizionista sessuale) or Chase Me Big Boy! (inseguimi ragazzo ben dotato!). Però, I Love Hip Hop Like Madonna Loves Dick (amo l'hip hop come Madonna ama l'uccello) è ovvio. Non è vero?

No comments:

Post a Comment