Monday 1 February 2010

Il Fuoco di Sant'Antonio

I had indended to write this post earlier but a bout of gastric flu knocked me back for several days. Anyway, now, just a  fortnight or so after the event, I'm ready to write about 'il fuoco di sant'antonio', a traditional festival in Italy which takes place on the 16th and 17th January. Firewood is gathered beforehand and, with food and drink in generous supply, a huge bonfire burnt on the 16th January, the eve of the 17th, the day which actually honours Sant'Antonio (or Saint Anthony in English). On Friday the 15th January, we travelled from Nuoro to Lotzorai, a small and very picturesque seaside town on the east coast of Sardinia where Maria Rita's family have a holiday home. We joined about another ten members of the extended family for the celebration. Unfortunately, I started to feel unwell on Saturday so I wasn't able to involve myself as much as I would have liked. However, I was well enough come Saturday evening to partake of the rather sumptuous feast that we all indulged in as we sat around the blazing bonfire. Jokes and stories were told and everyone seemed to be enjoying the food, the conversation and the warmth of the fire. It was quite an experience for me as I tried to listen, sometimes following the thread of the Italian being spoken and understanding quite well, and other times completely losing it.

Unfortunately, on Sunday I started to feel very queasy and extremely delicate and it was a relief to arrive back in Nuoro. Nevertheless, I do hope that I'll be able to enjoy the experience more fully in the years to come!

Below is a pic of me enjoying 'il fuoco di sant'antonio'.

No comments:

Post a Comment